Thursday, September 30, 2010

We Might Post about The Facebook Too Much

I'm pretty sure everyone gets anxious. It's just a fact of life. But because of the glut of social media that connects us these days, I get anxious about some really stupid things. The stupidest of which is birthdays.

And it's all thanks to you, facebook.

It used to be that I had a few very good friends whose birthdays I was expected to remember. And my family members' birthdays, of course. But even that usually involved writing things on a calendar as a reminder. And that made it all the more special when someone with whom I wasn't particularly close remembered to call me on my birthday (Thanks, Dan Schwartz!) or vice versa.

But now we have facebook. And every day, at least two people pop up on the side of my profile, reminding me that their very special day is today and if I were really their friend, I'd be acknowledging it. Sometimes it's as many as 6 or 7 people. And sometimes I just forget to check that little side bar, so I won't know to send a happy birthday wall post. Or I'll be reminded that a dear friend has a birthday because everyone and their mother (often literally, these days) has shown up on my newsfeed wishing them a happy birthday, but then I don't want to seem like I only jumped on the happy birthday bandwagon because everybody else reminded me, so I'll wait to post MY happy birthday wish later, as though I'm only just now getting on facebook for the first time that day and OF COURSE I knew it was your birthday but then sometimes I forget to go back and then it's the next day and everyone else has shown me up and now it's NEW people's birthdays but what if I wish them a happy birthday and it shows up on your newsfeed and you get offended that I wished someone else a happy birthday today but didn'twishyouahappybirthdayyesterdayandthen ALL MY FRIENDSHIPS AS I KNOW THEM WOULD IMPLODE.

While taking the FacebookBus to Crazytown, I passed this cozy little cul-de-sac!

So I've just stopped wishing people happy birthday on facebook. I'm sure I'll pick it back up again when I realize that my fears are TOTALLY INSANE.

No comments: