Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sea Kittens!!! eeeeeee!!!

Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you all get the chance today to enjoy the wonderful summer weather (at least here in the DC area). I would just like to direct everyone's attention for a moment to something wonderful! I truly hope and believe it will enhance your day!

Today, I made this:


Create Your Own Sea Kitten at peta.org!

What you're looking at is a fish with a lions tale, kitten ears, and a mohawk. I named my sea kitten creation "Kitty Rawks." To create Kitty Rawks, I began with the body of a flounder... I thought he looked less awkward than the salmon, and his goofy yellow body and big blue eyes made me smile. I find my sea kitten to be adorable; just the cutest little kitty fishy in the sea. In fact, I challenge you to make a cuter sea fishy!

By now, you've surely picked up on the creators of this wonderful tool: PeTA!

I had never realized before that PeTA creates such fun and kid-friendly online tools. In fact, I can honestly say that PeTA has enhanced my life! I never thought I'd ever get the opportunity to say those words.

====================================

... Huh.... so after perusing this PeTA website for a bit... I've now learned that these sea kittens are actually just cartoon fish. Turns out PeTA describes fish as scaly, slithery, slimy, and all around just gross. PeTA seems to be discomforted by their look: "they have eyes on either side of their pointy little heads—which is weird, to say the least." PeTA even goes on to claim that fish bite too often. In response, they've changed their name to "sea kittens" and made them more fake-looking. I wouldn't have thought an animal rights organization wouldn't like animals... and would even go as far as to change their name and appearance.

I dunno PeTA... that's kind of weird.

===================================

... Huh.... So now I'm reading that PeTA really REALLY doesn't like fish. They don't even like to eat fish, and that's MY favorite thing to DO to fish! PeTA says we shouldn't even go fishing! Hmm... well I don't like to go fishing much either... but I don't mind that other people do! Now I'm all for warning and preventing against overfishing. Overfishing means less food for the future! Overfishing can destroy an ecosystem! But no fishing? I'm not so sure I can get behind that PeTA.

====================================

... I went to PeTA's main website to find out what their deal is. There, I found their mission statement. Well that should help!


People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), with more than 2.0 million members and supporters, is the largest animal rights organization in the world. PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds and other "pests," and the abuse of backyard dogs. PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.

... Huh... well no mention of fish, fishing, overfishing, the ocean or the sea in general, no mention of vegetarianism or veganism or even vegetables in general. I dunno PeTA, you're kind of confusing me!
========================================

Well, after doing some research on this organization called PeTA, I've decided that PeTA is insane... but at least they've allowed me to create this!!!:


Create Your Own Sea Kitten at peta.org!

It's Bad Adam the Sea Kitten!!! eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Jason Heat said...

you WOULD continue ethnic stereotypes and give ypurself a giant nose.


for shame.

Alex said...

I can't believe you somehow turned the sea kittens into this post. You couldn't just stop at having fun creating a weird-mutant-cartoon-fish-like-online-pet-thing?

Dennis said...

Calling fish sea kittens doesn't make me want to eat fish less, it makes me wonder what land kittens taste like.

Amusing post, and your final fish is gnarly.

ali d said...

I have serious issues with PeTA and their mixed messages. And extreme anger toward people who don’t share their views. And creepy fish kitten-y creatures.

I actually feel bad for fish for the reason that most people don’t empathize with fish. They, of any creature in the animal kingdom, look least like humans. Because people don’t find them cute and cuddly, they’re more likely to treat them differently than other animals. Poor fish.

David Pratt said...

I must be the only person in the world who thinks lobsters are adorable.

Dennis said...

One time, when I worked at this seafood restaurant, we ordered a 110$ lobster for a special dinner the owner was having.

I had to help hold the thing down while the cook killed it, cause we couldn't get it into the pot alive. It screamed like a madman and was *insanely* strong, at least for its size. It was a truly terrifying experience.

I could never see lobsters as adorable lol

I agree with Ali about fish, and other ugly animals. It's okay to hate them. That's why I never killed any bugs as a child, and still don't, unless a woman makes me. Everyone hates bugs. Life as a bug has got to be hard.

Unknown said...

I, too, feel for ugly creatures everywhere. Except for silverfish. They deserve whatever they get.