Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Worst Song of the Decade

With all this talk lately of best songs of all time, and best of the decade, I figured it was time to throw in a 'lil bit of hate. After looking at Billboard's Top One Hit Wonders of the Decade, I got to thinking. What's the worst song of the past ten years? A whole bunch of classics jump to mind, including "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw, or even "Wanksta" by 50 Cent. But after giving it a little more thought, it became very clear what the worst, most abominable song of the 2000's was.



"One Step Closer," by nu metal band Linkin Park is more than just a terrible song. It's a catastrophe.

If Limp Bizkit's success in the late nineties showed America that metal/rap fusion was on top, Linkin Park's 2000 smash hit "One Step Closer" said it was here to stay. With Limp Bizkit and Korn on top of the rock charts, every label suddenly realized they would need a nu metal act of their own (much like with the boy band craze), and Warner Brothers Records was no different. So they, in their infinite wisdom, crapped out Linkin Park, and the joke of a music video and single I've posted above. Interestingly enough, the video has pretty much everything a boy band video would-hot young twenty somethings, choreography (watch them bob their heads together!), and of course, little people.

But the crowning moment of the song doesn't come until the end, when any attempt at making music ceases, and LP front man Chester Bennington (who plays in a side project band called "Bucket of Weenies!") takes a big steaming dump on anyone who's ever taking a singing class by forsaking any kind of melody and screaming "shut up, shut up, shut up when I'm talking to you" repeatedly into the microphone. Call me crazy, but I get insulted enough in my everyday life, I don't need my music to do it too.

I remember the first time I ever heard this song. I watched the whole video, and laughed to myself, thinking, "who on earth would be dumb enough to every listen to this junk." I've never felt more out of touch.

6 comments:

ali d said...

Dan, haven't you already written this post? Clearly either your hatred runneth deep, or your memory crappeth out.

Daniel said...

If I did, it needed TO BE DONE AGAIN

Unknown said...

I don't remember another post like this. But either way, it's the TRUTH. Also I like the imagery of Warner Bros. crapping out Linkin Park.

ali d said...

I actually already knew the answer to my question when I asked it:

http://thesegentlemen.blogspot.com/2008/12/linkin-park-is-terrible.html

I don't know, maybe my musical tastes just aren't as refined as yours, but I can listen to some Linkin Park now and again. Then again, I feel the same way about Nickelback, but that's a thought for another post. Oh well.

Jstone said...

I said the same thing when I first heard this song "Why is he insulting the audience?" My mind was officially blown, and not in the good behind the dumpster for $5 kind of way I mean it was blown up and used to clean up the aforementioned mess.

Daniel said...

jstone-what beautiful imagery! well put!