Monday, December 15, 2008

Random Thoughts

Another in my series of things that needs to bite the dust with this recession - Buying diamonds at all holidays. Much like Christmas Lexuses, this seems to be a case of advertisers trying graft something onto a holiday. You have Valentine's Day, you evil evil conflict diamond selling war criminals. Please stop trying to corrupt Christmas. Other people are already doing a fine job of that.

...

I've been pondering William Kristof v. Thomas Friedman. I know that Kristof is better, and not just because he travels the world freeing child slaves, but I haven't quite pinned it down yet. Maybe it's just different styles, I will return to this at some point.

...

Also, I just read Deep Economy by Bill McKibben and Girlfriend in A Coma by Douglas Coupland back to back. It was an unexpectedly brilliant choice. I don't think in my life I've ever paired a non-fiction and fiction book so elegantly, and it was completely by accident. Read both of these books.

No comments: